Aspartame is an artificially made sweetener, obtained from the fecal matter of genetically engineered E-coli bacteria. Unfortunately, this makes aspartame not only a GMO sweetener, but it may be linked to major diseases, especially for people allergic to phenylalanine.
It poisons the body by breaking down into formaldehyde, which is toxic and is found in cigarettes. Even if you are not allergic to phenylalanine, then it is still a good idea to avoid aspartame, so this guide will teach you how to cut back.
Read the food labels.
- First of all, ignore the Nutrition Facts: aspartame is not shown on the nutrition facts.
- Try to find the word “Contains Phenylalanine” on the label. If it says that, then aspartame is hiding in the ingredients.
- Take a close look at the ingredients label. Read every ingredient; if you see Aspartame, then you found a food you should avoid.
Avoid sodas at all costs. While both types of soda are bad, diet soda almost always contains aspartame, so be sure to check the label for Aspartame or Contains Phenylalanine.
Cut back on other aspartame-laden foods. This includes, but is not limited to: diet sodas, sugar-free gum, iced tea, yogurt, cereal and medicine.
- As said before, avoid sodas, instead flavor water with lemon and buy natural coconut water.
- Consider stop chewing gum completely.
- Brew your own tea beverages. Do not add sweeteners: it may not taste the best but at least it’s healthier. Do not buy bottled or canned tea, they often contain aspartame and other sweeteners.
Filed under: Artificial Sweeteners
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!